Okay, now it’s time to talk about the tools I’m planning on using to get back into shape! I was struggling a little trying to decide if it would be better to pick one or two things to focus on intently, or to have a long list of possibilities to choose from each day or week so that I don’t get bored. I’ve decided to combine those two options and have a few major tools that I’m focusing on, as well as the list of other possibilities to use on days when I’m bored or just want to do something different or extra.
Tool #1- Losing Weight After Baby podcast and website
I found this podcast and then the website back in March, and I’ve listened to all the past podcasts up to the most recent one. Arlene Pellicane runs the site and records the podcast, both of which are filled with excellent advice and motivation specifically geared toward moms who are looking to lose baby weight. Each podcast ends with an “action step,” and I plan on using many of these for my weekly goals. I encourage anyone to check out the website and podcast, as I think the advice is good for anyone who wants to shape up or feel better about herself. Arlene is also very accessible, and I’ve emailed back and forth with her a couple of times. www.losingweightafterbaby.com
Tool #2- Body for Life
Kadi recommends this program highly and has done it herself, so I think I’m going to take her advice and follow it. I have not yet read the book, but I know that it includes an exercise plan of cardio and strength training which minimizes time and maximizes results, as well as giving nutritional pointers. It’s a 12 week plan, and I will start it as soon as I think I’m ready after having my baby (hopefully any day now!!!).
Tool #3- Couch 2 5k running plan
I’ve completed this program once already, when I took up running, and I think that doing it again will help me to ease back into running for longer stretches of time- probably the best cardio/exercise option of all. Maybe because the Body for Life program has shorter exercise periods I will be able to do both concurrently.
Tool #4- Dancing
This is obviously not a specific program, but since I will be teaching dance again soon, I need to get back into shape to do that specifically. So I will be doing stretches and progressions with the intention of improving my dance abilities, as well as using some old routines as cardio workouts at home. Hopefully sometime in the near future I will take a class or two in Tucson, but that might not happen until January when new classes begin.
Those are my four main tools that I will be using almost right away. Here are some others that I would like to incorporate as well:
- DDR- I just got some new mats for the game, and it has a workout option that keeps track of calories burned. It’s a great way to get in cardio and really sweat without leaving my living room.
- Yourself Fitness- This is another playstation “game” that gives you customized workouts. I don’t plan on using it a lot, but it’s good for a change. It has a 15 minute yoga workout option that can be relaxing and different.
- Winsor Pilates- These dvds are great, and I can choose a 20 minute or 60 minute workout.
- Frontier Fitness- This is the gym in Benson where I’ll be teaching dance. Hopefully I will also have access to the gym equipment for when I want to work out there.
- Food/Exercise journal- I know how beneficial it is to record food and exercise, even though I hate doing it, so I’m going to find a new journal to use for that.
- Calorie King- This is a little book that fits in my purse that includes the caloric value of just about any food you can think of, and it includes fast food and restaurants.
- Self magazine- I subscribe, and every issue has new workouts, nutrition information, and 31-day plans to use.
- Fitness dvds and books TBA- I have a list of a few different dvds and books that I want to get, but I haven’t decided which ones yet, so I will review those later as I decide what to buy and try them out.
So those are the tools I’ll be using to get back into shape. Hopefully my next post will be my birth story! I’m due the day after tomorrow!